Some observations from the professionals at MobileREMEDIES®
What is a “factory reset”?
The term “factory reset” means to erase all of your personal information and data and return your iPhone to the same settings it had when it left the factory and you purchased it. It means that “your” iPhone doesn’t recognize you anymore. (These same explanations and comments also apply to iPads and laptops.)
Why would you ever want to do that?
It sounds like a terrible catastrophe, so why in the world would that be something that you would ever want to do?
There are two main reasons why you may wish to reset your iPhone to its factory settings:
- You have decided to get a new iPhone but your old one is still worth some money and you would like to sell it to someone else. You don’t want him or her to have access to your personal information and so you would want to wipe it clean before you sell it.
- You have major software conflicts that cause your iPhone to crash frequently and you have been unable to identify the source of the problem. You have tried restoring and updating the system software but the problem is not going away. By starting from scratch then reloading apps one-by-one you can often identify the culprit. In many cases, just by replacing the corrupted code with clean software versions, the problem will vanish and so it is a highly effective technique used by repair professionals
Is this something I can do myself?
Yes. Although it may seem like a complicated process, restoring your iPhone to its original factory settings, is actually a relatively simple operation and you can do it by following some specific instructions. If your device turns on and responds to your commands then you can almost certainly reset it. That said, if you have any problems with this process, feel uncomfortable about doing it yourself or need additional help, call 1-800-867-5048 to speak with a MobileREMEDIES® iPhone and cell phone repair technician or go to http://mobileremedies.com/iphone-repair/ to make an appointment to get your iPhone configured by a professional.
If it’s that easy, what keeps people from stealing and resetting someone elses iPhone?
This is a topic we will discuss in a later blog but the short answer is that Apple has gone to great lengths to protect your device from theft by assigning it to a free password protected iCloud account, providing you with the means to locate your device if it is lost or stolen, and even allowing you to erase your personal information remotely and lock the device so it can’t be reset without your password, as long as you took advantage of these protections when you set up your phone. If you didn’t do it (or don’t, now that you know), then it is just as easy for a thief to factory reset “your” iPhone as it is for you!
How do I accomplish the reset?
- First, it is time to reiterate a crucial point: IF YOU HAVE NOT BACKED UP YOUR DATA AND PERSONAL INFORMATION, IT WILL BE IRRETRIEVABLY LOST BY RESETTING YOUR IPHONE! If you have any doubts, backup your device before proceeding!
- If your iPhone is unresponsive or is not recognized by iTunes, you will not be able to proceed further. Call 1-800-867-5048 to speak with a MobileREMEDIES® iPhone repair technician or go to iPhone Repair to make an appointment.
- If you opened a free iCloud account when you first got your device then you must know or be able to access the Apple ID and password that you used. If you have forgotten one or both, go through Apple’s recovery steps first. Without the associated Apple ID and password you will be either unable to proceed or will be unable to restore your data from a previous backup should it become necessary!
- Go to ‘Settings’ on your iPhone and tap the iCloud banner with your name at the top of the screen. Tap ‘iCloud’ and turn OFF ‘Find My Phone’ if it is currently ON. If you have the most recent iOS, you will be asked to provide your Apple ID and password in order to turn it off.
- If you are resetting without using a computer, go to ‘Settings’ on your iPhone, tap ‘General’ and then ‘Reset’ at the bottom of the page. Select and tap ‘Erase All Content and Settings’. If you have an Apple iCloud account associated with the device you will be asked to enter your Apple ID and password before you are allowed to proceed. Your device should be plugged-in and must have Internet access. It will restart at factory settings.
- If using a computer, check that your system software is up to date and that you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your Mac or PC. Make sure your computer is plugged-in during this process.
- Open iTunes.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer either with the cable that came with your device or a certified Apple replacement. Some third party cables will NOT work for this process.
- If a message asks for your device passcode or to ‘Trust This Computer’, follow the onscreen prompts.
- Select your iPhone when it appears in iTunes. (If it doesn’t appear, you will need help or you will have to reset it from the iPhone without the computer as described above.)
- In the ‘Summary’ panel, click ‘Restore’. Click ‘Restore’ again to confirm.
- iTunes erases your iPhone and installs the latest iOS software. It will restart at factory settings.
- If you keep the phone and restore your data, sign-in to iCloud and don’t forget to turn ‘Find My Phone’ back on.
If you would like to learn more about how to use your iPhone or iPad, MobileREMEDIES® iPad repair experts offer a wide selection of free articles and tutorials in their blog to help you fix and master your devices. Go to http://mobileremedies.com/blog/.
At MobileREMEDIES® iPhone repair service, with locations on Maui and Oahu and mail-in service from anywhere in the world, you get a free diagnostic evaluation and an estimate of the repair costs and time required. You also always get a 1-year warranty on parts and service. If we can’t fix your device, you pay nothing for the attempt! In addition to iPhone repair and laptop repair, we also provide cell phone repair, iPad repair, and all other tablet PC’s, as well as computer repair and game system repair (Xbox, PlayStation, Wii, etc.). If you have a broken screen MobileREMEDIES® is the best phone medic in Hawaii. In fact, if you are looking for Apple repair of any kind MobileREMEDIES® offers the best quality service at the lowest price in addition to the longest warranty. We are number one if you are looking for cell phone repair Maui or cell phone repair Oahu.
We also build custom computers for gamers and other high demand users, recover lost data, provide web services including software development for individuals and small businesses, buy broken devices for cash or in-store credit and sell refurbished devices with a 1-year warranty, similar to a manufacturer’s warranty on a new device. Go to www.mobileremedies.com or call 1-800-867-5048.